For the project I decided to represent a moment that I have felt many times: coming into a house after being outside in the winter. Particularly, what I felt as a child coming inside after playing in the snow. As you get older you stop going outside as much just to “play,” and can move freely in snowfalls that once came up to your waist. Going out in the snow, and consequently coming back in, doesn’t have much fanfare attached to it. But as a child, going out into the snow is a big ordeal of anticipation, bundling up, getting sleds, and such. Coming back in afterward is an entirely different experience, yet still a positive one.
Physically, during these moments, I felt the warmth of the house’s heated interior, and the blankets I would sometimes wear. Along with this comes a certain sense of comfort from being back in a familiar place after the white expanse outside. I saw the inside of my house, but this time was no different from the countless other times I had seen it. More importantly was that I could see behind me, out the windows, the darkening sky over the cold plane of snow that was now safely right beyond the walls. On some occasions, something would be in the oven, and I could smell it baking. Or I would have something hot, like soup or tea, and smell and taste that. Sounds were not as important to the main feeling of the scene, and there are not as many relevant ones-the hum of the heater or crinkling of a coat, perhaps.
I am not sure exactly what pictures I want to represent it with yet. In general, they should be somewhat close to the subject, so that it fills the frame without much negative space. This will create a feeling of safe familiarity. Lighting will have to be artificial, as it is indoors, and bright, unless a picture is taken out of a window, in which case the light outside will be dimmer. Ideas for props or subjects include winter coats lying on the floor, a bowl of soup, an oven, a blanket, a window with a view of snow beyond it, and objects in this vein. The goal is to illustrate warmth and comfort, but specifically the type of comfort that comes after a long time spent in perilous conditions.
More Weebly
16 years ago
Great proposal. Get out those incandescent lightbulbs for a nice warm color scheme!
ReplyDelete