Sunday, October 18, 2009

Proposal
For my typology I have decided to do a set of chairs. There are certainly plenty of resources- Doane Stuart has dozens of chair types in various rooms, and I have several more at my house. I can use free periods and breaks to find times when there aren’t classes using the ones at school. As for the layout, I will have the chairs positioned in front of blank walls, which may not all be the same color, but will all be of a single color. The pictures will be of them facing at a 45 degree angle between the front and side, with a corner of the seat pointing toward the viewer. The viewpoint will be above the seat and angled down slightly.

There are a lot of different types of chairs, however, which would make some of the pictures very different, and less like a typology. As a limiting factor, I will only take pictures of wooden or metal chairs, with four legs. So, no photos of plush recliners or swivel chairs. When I actually put all of the pictures into a set, they will be arranged more into subcategories. The chairs that are entirely wooden will be next to each other, the chairs with a foam backing will be in another part. I think that this is a typology with a lot of room to work in, but at the same time there is a wide range of things to cover. Material and exact shape and size aside, as long as an object has the basic form, most people will think of it as being just a “chair,” with no specific type assigned to it. I want to get a typology that encompasses the entire spectrum of “chair.”

1 comment:

  1. Good proposal, Logan. Thanks for including this level of detail (45 degree angle, etc.) !

    ReplyDelete